Fog Creek Software is looking for an experienced, unstoppable engineer with experience in both operations and development, specifically around migrating established products from data centers to managed services in Amazon Web Services (AWS). On our team, you'll work with top-notch engineers on the infrastructure behind our SaaS applications, FogBugz and Kiln.
As the first DevOps hire, you'll help us bridge the gap between development and operations. With our Development and Systems Administration teams, you'll help develop our Cloud infrastructure and adapt to new methodologies while dissecting and maintaining our products in their existing environment. You'll work with us as we move foward into a Cloudy future. Cloudy in the AWS sense. Not overcast.
We look for people with:
- At least five years of computing experience, knowledge and excitement about the terrain, primarily with a Windows Server stack (Windows Server, IIS, Microsoft SQL Server, Active Directory)
- AWS migrations: you have experience restructuring applications using services available from Amazon
- Incredible coding skills: your programming ability is way above average, as demonstrated by a continuous string of successful projects
- A deep understanding of the tools at an Operations engineer's disposal, and knowledge of the time and place to use each one
- Pragmatic problem solving abilities dealing with complex systems
- Comfort wearing lots of hats in a heterogeneous environment: working with web servers and databases, development tasks, hardware and software, dashboards and ssh terminals, etc. Debian/CentOS based Linux systems experience is a plus
- An excellent command of written and spoken English
That being said, on this day we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with experience in:
- Windows Systems administration, including policy deployment and user/system management using Active Directory
- Experiences with operating in an AWS using managed services such as Relational Database Service (RDS), Elasticsearch, ElastiCache, Elastic Beanstalk, load balancers
- Datacenter experience, with both virtual and bare metal hosts
All of Fog Creek's technical teams are geographically distributed. Every meeting takes place online and we use the latest, easiest online tools for all of our work-related communication. That means that you can work from almost anywhere in the world, provided:
- You have access to broadband, stable, low-latency Internet, suitable for videoconferencing
- You have a dedicated, quiet place to work
- Your workday overlaps New York afternoons (1700 - 2200 GMT)
- We have a way to pay you legally wherever you live
A Commitment to Inclusion
We welcome you, as you are, to work at Fog Creek. We're removing the structural barriers and daily frustrations that too many tech companies inflict on underrepresented workers. From day one, our company has been about respecting and valuing our workers, and you’ll be supported by every level of our organization when you join our team.
Fog Creek Software, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
How to apply
To apply, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching a current resume in HTML, Plain Text, or PDF format. In the body of the email describe how you fit our requirements. Your application will be read by a real, live Fog Creek Engineer, so please feel free to get as technical as you like.