New York City
Fog Creek Software is looking for an experienced, levelheaded Network Engineer in New York. On our team, you'll work closely with our top-notch Site Reliability Engineers on the infrastructure behind our SaaS applications, Manuscript and Kiln.
You should have a near overwhelming drive to build things the Right Way. Tracing the tiers of redundancy through our data center should bring you joy, only to be eclipsed by finding a gap and architecting the fix. The greatest joy of all should come not from adding complexity, but removing it: Using newer, smarter technologies or cleaner, simpler systems to keep our SaaS apps healthy while dropping the complexity of their maintenance.
In this role, supported by our SREs, you will grow to own our NYC infrastructure. In time, should you choose, you will also grow into a full-fledged SRE.
Our ideal candidate likely has a background in designing, maintaining, upgrading, and debugging computer networks.
They feel at ease in a data center and can occasionally be found at a terminal tracing packets around just for fun.
They have the basic scripting knowledge to diagnose and pull off whatever they need to, but they're not satisfied at that level: They're likely interested in growing into a greater understanding of an SRE role, building from their firm hardware and networking foundation into a strong contributor in systems automation and software resilience.
We look for people with:
- At least three years of experience in and around data centers, knowledge and excitement about the terrain
- Working experience with office and data center networking, from the ISP through the switches and all the way to the ports on our production machines
- A comfortable set of software tools to diagnose and debug systems, glean insights from log files, and create simple automations
- Pragmatic problem solving abilities dealing with complex systems, even when the only error messages are in hex and you're at the far end of a 1200 baud telnet link
- An excellent command of written and spoken English
And finally, although we are a distributed company, this position requires your physical presence in our New York City office, so as to provide you access to our nearby data center.
Working in NYC
Our office, which we designed with great care and expense, has been covered by the New York Times, is available for your perusal in Google Maps, and remains our bastion of quiet creative work in the heart of New York City's Financial District.
As a New York City employee,
- You can join us every day for free, healthy, high-quality catered lunch
- We'll stock your private office with Aeron chairs, height-adjustable desks, audio-enthusiast-grade headphones (which are for your music, not to defend against someone else's), and whatever technology that helps you be most effective at getting your job done.
- Bike to work or visit a nearby gym, then refresh yourself in our in-office shower
- Our Ad-Hoc Remote Work policy allows you stints of digital nomadness while maintaining your NYC home base
- We'll set you up with free, unlimited monthly MetroCards
- Our office internet speeds will bring you joy
About Fog Creek
For 18 years, Fog Creek Software has worked to be the technology company that puts people first. We're proud of our history and the products we've created because they enable others to work together and make great technology themselves. Now, we're focused on helping millions of people (not just professional coders) rediscover the fun parts of the internet with our new friendly community, Glitch.
How to apply
To apply, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching a current resume in HTML, Plain Text, or PDF format. In the body of the email describe how you fit our requirements. Your application will be read by a real, live Fog Creek Engineer, so please feel free to get as technical as you like.