Site Reliability Engineer
New York City
Fog Creek Software is looking for an experienced, unstoppable SRE in New York. On our team, you'll work with top-notch developers and support engineers on the infrastructure behind our SaaS applications, FogBugz and Kiln, and our newest developer tool, Gomix. You'll build tools and automation that will run the environment while you sip lattes. You'll help tune the infrastructure and help plan for future growth.
As technologies move around us we need a team of SREs who grows and adapts to new best practices, as well as holds the context and understanding of our older systems.
We look for people with:
- At least five years of computing experience, knowledge and excitement about the terrain
- A solid grasp of the programming tools at their disposal, and knowledge of the time and place to use each one
- Working experience with configuration management (e.g. CloudFormation/Puppet/Chef/CFEngine) and monitoring (e.g. CloudWatch/Ganglia/Nagios) systems
- Pragmatic problem solving abilities dealing with complex systems, even when the only error messages are in hex and you're at the far end of a 1200 baud telnet link
- Comfort wearing lots of hats in a heterogeneous environment: working with web servers and databases, hardware and software, dashboards and ssh terminals, etc.
- An excellent command of written and spoken English
That being said, on this day we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with experience in:
- Network engineering: You know the ins and outs of switches and routers and have opinions about network topology in a data center
- Hosting relational databases with high availability, especially PostgreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server
- Maintaining and tuning Elasticsearch clusters
And finally, although we are a distributed company, this position requires your physical presence in our New York City office, so as to provide you access to our nearby data center.
Working in NYC
Our office, which we designed with great care and expense, has been covered by the New York Times, is available for your perusal in Google Maps, and remains our bastion of quiet creative work in the heart of New York City's Financial District.
As a New York City employee,
- You can join us every day for free, healthy, high-quality catered lunch
- We'll stock your private office with Aeron chairs, height-adjustable desks, audio-enthusiast-grade headphones (which are for your music, not to defend against someone else's), and whatever technology that helps you be most effective at getting your job done.
- Bike to work or visit a nearby gym, then refresh yourself in our in-office shower
- Our Ad-Hoc Remote Work policy allows you stints of digital nomadness while maintaining your NYC home base
- We'll set you up with free, unlimited monthly MetroCards
- Our office internet speeds will bring you joy
A Commitment to Inclusion
We welcome you, as you are, to work at Fog Creek. We're removing the structural barriers and daily frustrations that too many tech companies inflict on underrepresented workers. From day one, our company has been about respecting and valuing our workers, and you’ll be supported by every level of our organization when you join our team.
Fog Creek Software, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
How to apply
To apply, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching a current resume in HTML, Plain Text, or PDF format. In the body of the email describe how you fit our requirements. Your application will be read by a real, live Fog Creek Engineer, so please feel free to get as technical as you like.