A lot of tech companies don’t respect customer support because, well, they don’t always respect their customers. Being a part of the support team at Fog Creek Software is different.
We’ll Help You Develop Your Tech Skills
Being a support engineer at Fog Creek is like no other support position. You'll be a full member of our technical staff, working with the product development team, with full benefits from day one.
This is a great job for someone who’s excited by the possibilities offered by programming, but who’s most motivated by solving real problems for real people. You will be consistently engaged by diverse and interesting challenges. You'll use a constantly evolving tool set to solve a constantly evolving array of problems. There's room for coding in this position, but you don't have to be a coder to succeed in it.
Room to Breathe
The customer-facing employees in an organization often have the best information about what’s frustrating in a product, but they're rarely given the opportunity to actually fix things.
We know that you can't think strategically and objectively if you're only allowed to be answering support questions for customers. By providing (and building!) better tools, we’re able to give our support team breathing room to think about ways to make support better. And “better” isn’t just for our customers -- it’s better for quality of life for our team members, too. Each of our support engineers regularly takes full days to work on projects that are strategic for the team or company.
- A broad technical curiosity with proven technical understanding and problem solving. You may have dabbled in a few different languages.
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent
- The ability to communicate clearly and positively through written and spoken English
- Remote allowed
- Permanent legal right to work in the US for non-remote
One or more of the following skills would be helpful:
- Knowledge of distributed version control systems like Mercurial or Git
- SQL experience
- Internet troubleshooting experience (Fiddler2, Firebug, mad Chrome console skills, etc.)
All of Fog Creek's technical teams are geographically distributed. Every meeting takes place online and we use the latest, easiest online tools for all of our work-related communication. That means that you can work from almost anywhere in the world, provided:
- You have access to broadband, stable, low-latency Internet, suitable for videoconferencing
- You have a dedicated, quiet place to work
- Your workday covers our support desk hours, 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern (1300-2100 GMT), Monday through Friday
- We have a way to pay you legally wherever you live
About Fog Creek
For 17 years, Fog Creek Software has worked to be the technology company that puts people ahead of everything else. First, we created an amazing place to work and then we invented products that make work better for everyone that uses them. Now we're focused on enabling every person and every team to make thoughtful, useful software.
How to apply
To apply, solve the problem below and include your solution as the first word in the subject line of your application email, which you can send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your current resume in PDF, HTML, or Plain Text format. If you have a website, send us the URL. In the body of the email, describe how you solved our challenge and explain why you would be a good fit for this job.
Sort the characters in the following string:
by the number of times the character appears in the following text (descending):
Note: the text scrolls.
Now take the sorted string, and drop all the characters after (and including) the _. The remaining word is the answer.