Intern in Software Development
Are you a college student looking for a summer internship in the software industry? Fog Creek Software is the place for you! Founded by software guru Joel Spolsky of Joel on Software fame, Fog Creek Software is a small and friendly startup in New York City that's growing fast.
At other companies, your internship would consist of work-TV-sleep-work-TV-sleep, for most of the season, with a scintillating picnic to break the monotony. With a Fog Creek internship, you're not going to want a TV and you'll have to decide between sleeping and checking out the latest nightclub, restaurant, or show. That's because we're located in New York City, so when coding gets boring, you can sneak out to the Metropolitan Museum, a Broadway show, or a trendy club to find inspiration. (Don't worry, you can sleep when you're 80.)
What do our interns do?
We always give our interns a big project working on real, shipping software. For example, in 2005, all four of our interns teamed up to build a completely new product from the ground up. By the end of the summer, they had launched Fog Creek Copilot to paying customers. We didn't stop there — our Summer 2009 interns built Kiln, and our Summer 2011 interns pushed Trello to v1.0.
Here are some other typical projects:
- Write their own implementation of SSH in Go
- Adding Kiln integration with Azure, AppHarbor, and Heroku
- Writing a full-text search-engine language parser in F#
- Own creation of core features for Trello, using Node.js, WebSockets, and Backbone.js
- Mobile applications in their native languages
At Fog Creek Software, we'll give you a lot to do, and we'll expect you to deliver something great.
Our internship program includes a great salary, free housing, free lunch, and free weekly events, like Yankees games, a boat trip around Manhattan, walking tours, museum trips, Broadway shows, movie openings, a trip to the Hamptons, and parties.
Fog Creek Software started in September 2000 based on the simple idea that if we built a company that was a great place to work, we would be able to attract great talent. Our summer internship program allows talented college students to learn about the software industry from the inside in the most exciting city in the world.
"At times during my Fog Creek internship, I was amazed that they were paying us instead of the other way around. How many other internships will pay you to work half a day and then take a trapeze lesson or go on a tour of pizza places? However, when I consider all of the features I worked on (and shipped), getting paid seems more reasonable. Combine that with awesome people and New York and you get an amazing summer."
William Zimrin, Brown University, Summer 2013. Current Member of Technical Staff, Kiln.
As a Fog Creek Summer Intern in Software Development you will be given a real project to work on that will ship as a part of one of our products. You will receive mentoring from the team at Fog Creek, and learn about the software development industry from the experts. We're a small company, so you'll see everything that goes into software—not just code, but testing, marketing, sales, documentation, customer support, and user interface design—stuff you would never learn at a bigger company.
"One of the things I found most refreshing (and satisfying) about my internship at Fog Creek Software was how quickly and readily I was treated like a full-time employee. I wasn't just given some fluff project to work on by myself off in a corner. I was given a vision for what the dev team had in mind and essentially full responsibility for that area of the product to the point that, by the end of the summer, fulltimers were coming to me--an intern--with questions about how something related to my area of the product should be done. It was great to have the support and guidance of really talented, experienced developers at my fingertips, but at the same time still given the opportunity to take something and just run with it."
Dane Bertram, University of Calgary, Summer 2008. Former Member of Technical Staff, FogBugz
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Currently enrolled in a 4 year academic institution. Preference will be given to students between their Junior and Senior years.
- Top grades or a track record of success
- Permanent legal right to work in the United States (includes TN status)
- Significant coursework in Computer Science (major not required)
- Top-notch computer programming skills. During the interview we'll give you some coding problems and you will blow us away with your brilliant solutions.
- Highly competitive salary
- Free housing ($2400 value) in an area dorm (private rooms), or $1500 taxable stipend towards alternate housing
- Free gym membership
- Free MetroCard (gets you on any bus or subway in New York)
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching (we'll help you set one up!)
- Free soft drinks
- Free lunches
- The position is in our office in New York City. No telecommuting.
- Internships last between 10 and 12 weeks.
- Coops are also available in the fall and spring semesters
How to apply
To apply, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching a current resume in HTML, Word, Plain Text or PDF format. In the body of the email, explain why you would be a good fit for this job. If you have a website, send us the URL.
Fog Creek Software, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.