Our customers want an Internet where their privacy and data are protected. Here are our principles on privacy—in human language—across all of our products:
- Your Data Is Your Data. Always. We're software developers and so are many of our customers, so we understand how much you value the data that you entrust to us. If it goes into our systems, we make it easy for you to get it back out again. We're never going to lock you out of your own data.
- Your Data Will Never Be Sold. Ever. We sell software and related services directly to you, our customer. You are the customer. You are not the product. While we do collect information about your account (e.g. billing information, the names and emails of users, number of users) for internal use, we do not share your data with external parties, except as necessary to provide you with services, and only under contractual promises of privacy. We are based in New York City and follow all laws of New York and the United States.
- Your Trust Is Sacred To Us. We hire talented engineers and system administrators to make systems which, by design, prevent us from seeing the data you put into our applications. Our company culture, technology, and processes make it vanishingly unlikely we'll ever see it. While your accounting details and application usage information are internally visible to Fog Creek employees, your application content remains hidden unless absolutely necessary. If it becomes necessary for us to look at your data—for example, to resolve a support question for you—an actual person will ask for your specific permission in advance, every single time.
- Your Data Is As Important As Ours. We eat our own dog food. Our code is on the same servers your code is on. (Strictly speaking different boxes on the same rack, so that we can break ours without breaking yours, but you get the idea.) Our customer support runs on the same systems yours do. Our passwords are encrypted the same way yours are.
- You Will Not Be Spammed. We only send emails when a) you have explicitly asked for them or b) to assist you with using our software. For example, if you are in your trial of FogBugz, we will send you a sequence of emails explaining how to use the software. We put opt-out links in all the emails we send.
Here are the individual privacy policies for each of our applications:
Please see the Fog Creek Security Policy, which also links to the individual security policies for each product.